The International Cricket Council, on Monday, made the inevitable decision of postponing the 2020 edition of the Men’s T20 World Cup owing to the COVID-19 pandemic that brought cricket to a halt earlier this year. Cricket’s apex body has held multiple meetings in the last few months in order to ascertain the best possible outcome, but came to the said conclusion in the latest one on Monday.
The fate of the showpiece event, which was to kick-off in Australia from October 18, has hung in the balance since early March.
On Monday’s meeting of the IBC Board (the commercial subsidiary of the ICC), windows for the next three ICC men’s events were also agreed upon.
The windows for the Men’s events are:
– ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 will be held in October-November 2021, with the final on November 14, 2021
– ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022 will be held in October-November 2022, with the final on November 13, 2022
– ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 will be held in India in October-November 2023, with the final on November 26, 2023
“The IBC Board agreed to continue to monitor the rapidly changing situation and assess all the information available in order to make a considered decision on future hosts to ensure the sport is able to stage safe and successful global events in 2021 and 2022,” the ICC stated in a release.
“The IBC Board will also continue to evaluate the situation in relation to being able to stage the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 in New Zealand in February next year. In the meantime, planning for this event continues as scheduled.”
Manu Sawhney, the ICC chief executive, said: “We have undertaken a comprehensive and complex contingency planning exercise and through this process, our number one priority has been to protect the health and safety of everyone involved in the sport.
“The decision to postpone the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup was taken after careful consideration of all of the options available to us and gives us the best possible opportunity of delivering two safe and successful T20 World Cups for fans around the world.
“Our Members now have the clarity they need around event windows to enable them to reschedule lost bilateral and domestic cricket. Moving the Men’s Cricket World Cup to a later window is a critical element of this and gives us a better chance of maintaining the integrity of the qualification process. This additional time will be used to reschedule games that might be lost because of the pandemic ensuring qualification can be decided on the field of play.
“Throughout this process we have worked closely with our key stakeholders including governments, Members, broadcasters, partners and medical experts to enable us to reach a collective decision for the good of the game and our fans. I would like to thank everyone involved for their commitment to a safe return to cricket.”
Source : Cricbuzz